compensation: $49,000 per annum + approximately $10K in gratuities, plus health benefits employment type: full-time job title: Sous Chef, full time permanent
QR Code Link to This Post
POSITION: Sous Chef, full time permanent
LOCATION: Penticton, BC
COMPENSATION: $49,000 per annum + approximately $10K in gratuities, plus health benefits
Welcome to Theo’s!
Theo and Mary Theodosakis opened the doors in 1976 with the vision to provide authentic Greek dishes served in a relaxing and beautiful setting. Forty-seven years later, that promise continues with the second owner/operator, Gregory Condonopoulos, with over 40 years of relevant experience. The vision expands to include collaborating with local food and wine producers throughout the Okanagan & Similkameen.
Theo’s is a legacy business boasting 285 seats, five dining rooms and two levels. Now serving three generations Theo’s can host an intimate dinner by the fireplace or groups of up to 150. Dine in or cater out. We are here to celebrate food, family and to champion the potential of our collective lives.
Come grow with us and live in a community that offers year-round recreational activities, agreeable summers and a wonderful and affordable lifestyle.
Theo’s is located in beautiful Penticton, BC in the downtown area at 687 Main Street. Please visit us at www.eatsquid.com for more information.
Reporting directly to the Kitchen Manager and Owner of Theo’s Restaurant, the Sous Chef is responsible for all aspects of PM hot kitchen and hot kitchen menu prep. The Sous Chef would also assist and collaborate with the Kitchen Manager, as required to ensure the smooth operation of the Line Cooks to ensure established high standards of Theo’s food consistency and presentation are maintained.
The Sous Chef should always promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Theo’s Restaurant. Our Mission – “Leave Happy.”
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Supervise or coordinate activities of entire cook line to ensure standards are being met.
• Work with and instruct cooks and other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
• Work with front of the house leaders to plan and price menu items, establish portion sizes, and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items/featured items.
• Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas as prescribed.
• Assist with monitoring sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
• Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
• Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
• Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking standards.
• Assist Kitchen Manager with scheduling of staff and administrative tasks as they arise within labour cost constraints.
• Inspect supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
• Assist Kitchen Manager with order or requisition of food, or other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
• Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition to accommodate business volumes.
• Ensure receiving practices are in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
• Check the quantity and quality of received products and rotate as necessary.
• Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
• Prepare and cook food of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies regarding personnel are followed, be able to make recommendations for corrective action if needed.
• Oversee the continuous training of kitchen employees on prep procedures, kitchen equipment, utensils, cleanliness, sanitation practices, proper lifting and carrying techniques, and handling hazardous materials.
• Demonstrate new cooking techniques or equipment to staff.
• Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
• Organizing entire line cooks operation for kitchen in conjunction with Kitchen Manager and Owner.
• Ordering supplies as required in the Kitchen Manager’s absence.
• Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
• Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
• Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations. In lower volume months to assist in other areas of kitchen operations as required to ensure labour costs are maintained.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Demonstrated previous culinary experience, minimum of 4 years in a casual fine dining environment
• Food Safe Level 1
• Grill, broiler and saute experience
• Be a collaborative team player with leadership skills
• Have demonstrated ability to be proactive, self-starting and work in a team-based environment.
• Ability to take direction and work under pressure.
We value workplace diversity and encourage applications from all qualiﬁed individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Do NOT contact this job poster with unsolicited services or offers.