FamilySmart® Parent in Residence
Part-Time Position serving the Central, South & North Okanagan
Who we are
FamilySmart® is a non-profit that works to enhance the experience and quality of services, support and information for children and youth with mental health challenges, and their families or the caring adults in their lives.
The FamilySmart® Parent in Residence is a parent and/or caring adult who has their own lived experience parenting a child or youth with a mental health challenge. Lived experience is the foundation of all of FamilySmart® service offerings. When young people are struggling with their mental health, they – along with their families or the caring adults in their lives – are helped when people with lived experience come alongside them to listen, to care, to know and to understand what it’s like for them and assist them in getting quality services, information and support.
The PiR uses their own lived experience and knowledge to offer Peer Support, resources and information, system navigation, education, and mentoring to other families in the Central, South and North Okanagan, this includes: Kelowna, Penticton and Vernon.
What You'll Do with our Team
• Draw on your own experience of parenting a child/youth living with a mental health challenge to offer peer support to other families through email, by phone, or in person
• Work as part of the FamilySmart PiR team serving families in the Central, South & North Okanagan
• Once a month or more, meet with families during Walk-In intake hours at the CYMH Offices in Kelowna, Vernon and Penticton
• Attend and meet monthly with the CYMH Team Leaders in Kelowna, Vernon and Penticton
• Listen to and assist families and caring adults to articulate what they need and help focus on their strengths
• Help families to find information and resources that might be helpful
• Support families to work well with the professionals who are providing services to their child/youth
• Support families to prepare for meetings and debrief with them, as they request
• Host and facilitate 1 x “In the Know” – a monthly information and support opportunity for families
• Prepare monthly reports
• Participate in 3 monthly meetings with FamilySmart, Pro-D days and Annual Retreats
Things we’ll love about you: Knowledge, skills and abilities
• You are a parent or caregiver of a child or youth with mental health challenges
• You have strong written and interpersonal communication skills
• You have the ability to apply appropriate boundaries
• You can maintain confidentiality
• You know how to establish and maintain rapport with families and caregivers
• You have strong relationship building skills
• You are willing to share what you know and to continue learning with and from others
• You are able to raise concerns or suggestions in a way that enables greater outcomes
• You are empathetic and compassionate towards others
• You have experience facilitating small group conversations and are comfortable with public speaking
• You practice self-care and seek or accept help when needed
• You are organized and have a strong work ethic
• You are reliable and punctual for shifts and meetings
• You have a positive attitude
• You have the ability to work with diverse populations
• Basic computer skills: experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe, Excel, Gmail
• Available to attend Walk-in Intake Clinic at minimum 1 x per month in Kelowna, Penticton and Vernon on week days between 9am – 3pm
• You have access to a vehicle and are able to travel to the communities within the Okanagan region (mileage over 32km will be covered)
• Successful candidates must pass a Criminal Record Check and a Child Intervention Check
• Orientation and Training period prior to starting work
Compensation and Hours
Hourly rate: $20/hour + benefits
Hours: Part-time 21 hours per week
Please send resume and cover letter to Robin Brown, Director, Human Resources at show contact info
Subject line: Parent in Residence – Central, South and North Okanagan
*Please note that the assessment of applicants will be made on an ongoing basis and continue until a hire is made.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
FamilySmart® is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to age, ancestry, colour, family status, marital status, physical or mental disability, place of origin, political belief, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and criminal conviction unrelated to employment.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers