Executive Assistant to the Secretary-Treasurer/ Communications Special
compensation: TBD employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Are you interested in being part of a district that is committed to collaboration, mentorship and creating innovative learning experiences? School District No. 67 is embracing the evolving changes in education and looking for motivated employees who are actively seeking dynamic professional opportunities and passionate about making a difference in the lives of students. Combining the natural beauty and amazing outdoor recreation opportunities associated with the Okanagan lifestyle with an exciting and fulfilling work environment is ideal for those pursuing a healthy balance both professionally and personally.
The Board of Education invites applications for the position of Executive Assistant to the Secretary- Treasurer/Communications Specialist for Okanagan Skaha School District. Duties will commence October 15, 2021, or a mutually agreeable date.
Executive Assistant to the Secretary-Treasurer portion of the position is a permanent 0.6 FTE. The Communications Specialist 0.4 FTE portion of the position is Temporary until June 30, 2022. The additional 0.4 FTE may be renewed as a permanent position if mutually agreed upon by both parties.
Our ideal candidate:
Working directly with the Secretary-Treasurer and the Board of Education, the Executive Assistant/Communications Specialist is responsible for providing a broad range of senior administrative support including managing correspondence and communication flow between various district stakeholders, management and elected officials, developing and maintaining Board Meeting Agendas and Minutes, record retention and maintenance of confidential documents, and event scheduling and coordination for the Board of Education. The Executive Assistant/Communications Specialist helps build and maintain positive relationships with all stakeholders via strategic communication. Liaising with media and communicating with the broader community are also important aspects of this role.
The successful applicant will possess the following:
• Post-secondary education in Business Administration and/or a Communications degree or equivalent training and experience in communications, journalism, public relations or related field
• Minimum of 5 years recent and relevant experience
• Ability to use a variety of Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Experience with web communications, internet technology, digital photography (ability to take publication-quality photographs in a variety of settings) and video
• Sound knowledge of current issues in public education
• Ability to deal with sensitive issues and information
• Proven experience in social media management across multiple platforms including content plan development, content generation and distribution; reputation management; client relationship management; and use of social media management tools
• Experience with crisis communication management
• A high degree of judgement, discretion and decision-making ability with ability to work quickly, often under tight deadlines and pressures, and manage a number of projects simultaneously
• Knowledge of business meeting protocol, including recording and transcribing of minutes.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision
• Superior interpersonal, communication and resolution skills
Executive Support – 0.6 FTE
• Provides direct support to the Secretary-Treasurer and the Board of Education
• Prepares Regular and In-Camera Board Meeting Agendas, takes minutes and maintains meeting records
• Supports Board Committees and committee meeting structure as needed
• Prepares, renews, and maintains leases and agreements
• Manages, tracks, and maintains all board office agreements
• Responsible for maintaining trustee Financial Disclosure Acts
• Maintains property records
• Helps administer the School Protection Program and answers risk management inquiries
• Coordinates travel arrangements/bookings/reservations for the Board of Education and the Secretary-Treasurer
• Schedules, organizes, and prepares for events and meetings of the Board or the Secretary-Treasurer
• Handles correspondence for the Board of Education and Secretary-Treasurer
• Maintains general filing for the Secretary-Treasurer’s office, internal and external mail distribution, and assists with internal and public inquiries
• Performs overall office administrative tasks and duties as required
• Provides support in other areas as directed by the Secretary-Treasurer
Communications – 0.4 FTE
• Establishes and maintains successful relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including effective working relationships with the media
• Generates, organizes, prioritizes, and schedules social media posts from a variety of sources (always ensuring accuracy of content and checking on FIPPA)
• Ensures that all school district announcements, developments, policies and programs, and milestones are well publicized and professionally executed
• Monitors social and traditional media
• Updates content of School District website
• Organizes public service/institutional and educational advertising (eg. board meetings, student registrations, etc.)
• Supports Senior Leadership in communicating the District’s learning/strategic plans through a variety of media channels
• Supports Senior Leadership and Principals in communicating externally (media, community, and parents) and internally (staff)
• Provides communications services, or other assistance as required, during critical incidents and emergency situations
• Protects School District’s reputation by monitoring social networks and independently responding to conversations and answering questions, when possible, about School District
• Sets up and monitors analysis reports from a variety of sources (e.g., social media analytics, surveys, Google analytics) to determine the effectiveness of communications for future improvements
• Provides social media policy and practices and implement as required; and
• Assists in the development of a Communication Plan for the district
The School District
School District No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha), representing the communities of Penticton, Summerland, Kaleden, and Naramata, serves the educational needs of approximately 5800 students through 11 elementary, 3 middle, 3 secondary schools and 1 distributed learning school.
Our school district has a proud history of excellent student achievement across a wide range of accomplishment areas: Academics, fine arts, athletics, career programs, French Immersion, and applied skills with a focus on meeting the individual needs of all learners.
The communities are nestled on the sides of Skaha and Okanagan Lakes in the heart of wine and fresh fruit country. Apex Mountain Ski Resort, named nationally and North America-wide as one of the finest small destination ski areas, is an easy 45-minute drive from Penticton. The combination of good working conditions, strong community support for schooling, and excellent recreational amenities makes the area a highly desirable home.
Must include a complete resume, including supporting documentation and a minimum of three (3) current references, with permission for the search committee to contact references and previous employers.
For further information about this exciting career opportunity, please contact Nicole Bittante, Secretary-Treasurer, show contact info
Deadline for applications: 2:00 pm (PST), Wednesday, October 6, 2021
Or on Make a Future at https://makeafuture.applytoeducation.com/Applicant/AttJobPosting.aspx?JOB_POSTING_ID=5af18e76-460a-46c8-b2bc-7dd5f5c7a5f5
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers