QR Code Link to This Post
This is a commercial painter position for both a motivated self-starter and a skilled worker. Must be experienced in painting activities at various industrial, commercial, or residential sites using appropriate equipment and machinery to complete the job. Must be able to handle verbal instructions. Reading blue prints and sketches are an asset to this position.
This individual must work to the plan and schedule set out by the Central Painting Foreman. Must perform work within the estimated time, cost, and materials for the painting projects. Must have knowledge in scaffolding and rigging, ladder work, elevated work platforms, colour blending and matching, and painting operations and methods.
Receive assignments in the form of brief verbal communication and written work orders. Must frequently be supplemented by consultation with the Foreman or the Operations Manager regarding desired colour schemes.
Work is performed under general direction of Operation Management or the site Foreman.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Paint using brush, roll, and airless spray methods.
• Use of elevated work platforms and swing stage work. Only painters with proper training certification and fall arrest may use this equipment.
• Communicate with Foreman on progress of current task.
• Participate in mixing paints and matching colours.
• Inspect surfaces for cleanliness and readiness for painting.
• Inspect equipment, buildings, or other structures reported in need of painting.
• Discuss painting needs and colour matching problems with Foreman.
• Perform related work, maintenance on equipment, and ensure site cleanup as required.
• Monitor equipment use and job box material.
• Requisition supplies and equipment with Foreman.
• Follow the estimate of hours assigned and amounts of material necessary.
• Report any and all safety issues to direct supervisor.
• Ensure site safety, completion of pre-use scissor lift inspections, and participate in weekly safety talks.
Education and Experience
• High school or vocational school diploma
• 3-years of related work experience, considerable experience as a journeyman painter, or any equivalent combination of training and experience
• Valid driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Skill in apply paints and other finishes by brush and spray equipment.
• Considerable knowledge and skill in the standard practices, materials, methods, and equipment of the painting trade necessary to execute top-level painting projects.
• Considerable knowledge in the qualities and adaptabilities of various surfacing materials.
• Considerable knowledge and skill in the methods or preparing surfaces for finishing.
• Considerable knowledge and skill in the proper methods of mixing paints to obtain desired colours and qualities.
• Considerable knowledge of the weather and wear resistance qualities of paints and other finishing materials.
• Able to successfully administer various large or small contracts.
• Able to make estimates for materials and time requirements for a given task.
• Considerable knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the work.
• Able to successfully manage hazardous waste.
• Able to maintain good working relationships with other employees
• Shift work
• Long hours which may require day or night shifts
• Overtime as required
• Travel to the site and off-site locations
• Safety equipment is required. E.g.; steel toed boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
• Physical ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
• Hazards associated with the trade
• Noisy with fumes
• Prolonged standing, walking, lifting, squatting, and bending
• Work both indoors and outdoors
• May perform work in adverse weather conditions, including heat, cold, and inclement weather
• Customer focus
• Energy and stress
• Team work
• Quality orientation
• Problem solving
• Accountability and dependability
• Operating equipment
• Ethics and integrity